Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Obama Promotes Racism





August 13, 2013

Obama Promotes Racism

By Eileen F. Toplansky

A distinct pattern of racial bias can be seen in three recent actions that have President Obama's blessings. The first was the Executive Order of July 26, 2012 wherein Barack Hussein Obama "establishes a government panel to promote 'a positive school climate that does not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools.'" [Emphasis mine]

In his Executive Order, Obama states that "[o]ver a third of African American students do not graduate from high school on time with a regular high school diploma... An even greater number of African American males do not graduate with a regular high school diploma, and African American males also experience disparate rates of incarceration.

One of his solutions to the disturbing trends cited above is to "decreas[e] the disproportionate number of referrals of African American children from general education to special education" He also urges "reducing racial isolation and resegregation of elementary and secondary schools to promote understanding and tolerance among all Americans [.]" Finally, the Executive Order emphasizes the need to encourage "agencies to incorporate best practices into appropriate discretionary programs where permitted by law;"

How does one define "discretionary programs?" Dozens of alphabet soup programs have already been authorized by the government to assist minority students, i.e., EEOC, PASS, Passport, STEM, PRIME, SUPERB, MESA, HPPI.

In essence, Obama now backs race-based school discipline policies. Heather MacDonald in her Summer 2012 piece entitled "Undisciplined" wonders whether "black students are suspended more often because they misbehave more?" Furthermore, if white students are suspended more often than Asian students, does this indicate racism against white students?

The second relevant race conscious action concerns Racial Impact Statements that are being implemented in a number of states. Concerned with the racial breakdown of prison populations, the impetus for these Racial Impact Statements is to reduce unwarranted sentencing disparities among races. Thus, in April 2013, Oregon moved closer to "creating Racial Impact Statements for criminal justice and child welfare related bills" in order to better analyze and address racial disparity in their state.

Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project in Washington, D.C. has written that " [o]ne of every nine black males between the ages of 20 and 34 is incarcerated in prison or jail, and one of every three black males born today can expect to do time in state or federal prison if current trends continue." He maintains that "we need policies and practices that can work effectively to promote public safety. At the same time, it also behooves us to find ways to reduce the disproportionate rate of incarceration for people of color. These are not competing goals."

In his study entitled "Racial Impact Statements as a Means of Reducing Unwarranted Sentencing Disparities" Mauer cites the 1986 Anti-Drug Abuse Act which indicated that "more than 80 percent of the prosecutions for crack (as opposed to powder cocaine) offenses have been of African Americans [.]" Consequently, "established mandatory prison terms of five years for possession or sale of ...five grams of crack cocaine... resulted in a disproportionate number of African Americans being convicted." By the way, it was the Congressional Black Caucus who supported the more aggressive anti-crack law at the time.

Racial Impact advocates maintain that "[s]ince urban areas are more densely populated than suburban or rural areas, city residents are much more likely to be within a short distance of a school or public housing site during much of the day. And since African Americans are more likely to live in urban neighborhoods than are whites, African Americans convicted of a drug offense are subject to harsher punishments than whites committing the same offense in a less populated area."

With dizzying seesaw logic, Mauer asserts that while "no one wants drug dealers peddling narcotics to school children," it may be necessary to provide for "additional penalties for drug transactions between consenting adults that take place in the middle of the night." But, [this] may "disproportionately affect African Americans" and may require fine tuning the law to "avoid exacerbating racial disparity."

So let me get this straight: the Black child will be relatively safe going to school but the Black teenager won't be as safe if she is on the school grounds at night because it might disproportionately affect a Black drug dealer who is arrested at that time.

Furthermore, in August 2010, President Obama signed a bill "reducing the disparity in penalties for the use of crack and powder cocaine." This was seen as a "hard-fought victory for civil rights activists who have argued for years that the differing punishments unfairly target African-Americans." Thus, thousands of crack prisoners, some with long rap sheets, were released into the community. But now given the new law does the basis for this racial disproportionality problem even still exist?

At the time, however, Lamar Smith, R-Texas, argued that "[r]educing the penalties for crack cocaine could expose ... neighborhoods to the same violence and addiction that caused Congress to act in the first place. Crack cocaine is associated with a greater degree of violence than most other drugs. And more than any other drug, the majority of crack defendants have prior criminal convictions."

Furthermore, "in 1998, Congress imposed the same mandatory minimum sentences on methamphetamine users. And they disproportionately affect whites, since most meth addicts and dealers are Caucasian." If one is concerned about racial disparity, "meth sentences could also be looked at as racially 'unfair.'"

Mauer explains that "it is not so much race alone but rather race in combination with other factors, such as gender and employment, that translate into unwarranted racial disparities at the sentencing stage." But under Obama there is a 30% unemployment rate for young black males. Wouldn't these young people be better served with job training and productive jobs than "tailoring the law" to avoid racially disparate effects?

In Minnesota, the goals for Racial Impact Statements are as follows:

If a significant racial disparity can be predicted before a bill is passed, it may be possible to consider alternatives that enhance public safety without creating additional disparity in Minnesota's criminal justice system [.]

So race will be considered preemptively to avoid racial disparity in meting out justice.

But according to racial impact statement proponents "[s]entencing policies, such as habitual offender and "three strikes" laws that penalize repeat offenders more harshly, also produce racially disparate effects even though not expressly conceived to do so" and this "racial impact is due to the fact that African Americans are more likely to have a criminal record than other groups."

Am I missing something here? Are they saying that we have to raise convictions for some racial groups in order to lower convictions for other minority groups as a balancing maneuver? If someone comes from a mixed racial background, which race prevails? Or will that be yet another category to be assessed?

How many contortions must be made -- isn't the public safety always the prime consideration? After all, "who normally puts black convicted criminals where they are... black victims, black witnesses, and black communities -- in order to do justice and protect themselves from murder, mayhem, and deadly drug dealing?"

And African Americans are not the only ones who live close to schools. Ask the Chinese in Chinatown. Yet Chinese are not clamoring for racial disparity statements. But for our race-obsessed president, this will surely deal with the "disparate rates" of incarceration of African American males that he cites in his Executive Order.

In a 1994 Wall Street Journal op-ed, Randall Kennedy asserted that "as dangerous as the response that cries racism as part of an all out defense of any black accused of wrongdoing by white authorities regardless of the facts of the case," [it is an equally] troubling position that "some blacks will refuse to help send any black person to prison."

The third piece that dovetails with the pattern of race-based decisions involves "Obama's Quiet Anti-Suburban Revolution" whereby "suburban neighborhoods with no record of housing discrimination [will be] targeted to build more public housing for ethnic and racial minorities."

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has proposed "new rules requiring counties and other entities receiving federal grant dollars to 'affirmatively further fair housing' in the suburbs for minorities. Grantees who fail to comply will be denied federal funding." Is this part of that "re-segregation" Obama spoke about in his 2012 Executive Order?

Thus the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will be empowered to map the credit histories of every American "to ensure credit reports and scores are racially balanced as well." In fact, "earlier this year, HUD broadened the authority of two anti-discrimination laws -- the Fair Housing Act and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act -- making illegal any housing or credit policy that results in disproportionately fewer blacks or Latinos receiving housing or home loans than whites, even if those policies are race-neutral and evenly applied across all groups."

The Investor's Business Daily editorial board takes Mr. Obama to task and writes, "[i]f there are racial disparities in housing or credit, there can't be any business reason for them. Personal habits are never a factor. To this administration, racism is the one and only explanation."

Pamela Geller maintains that "no matter how horrible the outcomes, the left never learns from their repeated monumental mistakes. Their idea of utopia fails to factor in the most critical key component: the human condition, the make-up of free man. No matter what nonsensical pseudo-scientific application the left employs, free men require freedom."

Obama plays a clever game and it is up to the American public to connect the dots and see the larger picture. Mired in constant governmental race-obsessed rulings, with the ultimate aim of total government control over our lives, we can never truly address problems in a pragmatic and helpful manner nor can law-abiding people feel safe.

Eileen can be reached at middlemarch18@gmail.com


Page Printed from: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/../2013/08/obama_promotes_racism.html at August 13, 2013 - 02:46:28 PM CDT



__._,_.___





   
__,_._,___


--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Proposed new federal rule could put 'big brother' in your driver's seat




 

Proposed new federal rule could put 'big brother' in your driver's seat

By Doug McKelway

Published August 12, 2013

A proposed federal rule that would require black boxes or event data recorders (EDRs) in every U.S. automobile may mean "Big Brother" could be in your passenger seat for every drive.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rule requires all light passenger vehicles be equipped with an EDR by Sep.1, 2014. Ninety-six percent of new cars already have them -- measuring such inputs as speed, lateral acceleration, pedal effort, seat belt use, wheel spin, steering wheel turn and direction. 

They only record information in the brief period before and after a crash. But black box data retrieved from U.S. car accidents in a single day would provide more information than a year's worth of crash testing, says Tom Kowalick, who heads the design team that is standardizing the devices for automakers worldwide.

But he also said he fears that for all their potential good, the EDRs present a massive privacy dilemma, and an opportunity for fraudsters.

"They can take that odometer and roll that odometer back to zero," he said. "They can change the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which is in the computer. And once they do that, then it's okay for them to very simply steal the motor vehicle and move it away."

Kowalick points out  that YouTube has hundreds of clips that demonstrate how to hack into automobile EDRs. "Look at the number of people who are making tools, electronic tools, to do these things. You'll find hundreds of thousands of people who are already clicking onto these sites. And they must be doing that for some purpose," he said.

The potential for malfeasance is huge, but so is the access EDRs give to law enforcement and insurance companies, who could download EDR data to determine whether a motorist  is at fault in an accident. 

But that, too. presents ethical dilemmas, should an insurer examine a customer's pattern of speeding to withdraw coverage or increase premiums, or worse, manipulate speed data to evade an accident pay-out.

Overlaid with GPS data, or with new  D.U.I. interlock technology now under consideration for  all automobiles, some say the black box could become a Pandora's box of  Fourth Amendment violations against unlawful search and seizure.

Jeramie Scott of the Electronic Privacy Information Center said, "We just want data to be owned by the vehicle owners so it's required that their consent is given when the data is retrieved, whether it's by insurance companies or law enforcement or others."

The comment period for the NHTSA proposed EDR rule ended last February. The final rule has not yet been published.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/12/proposed-new-federal-rule-could-put-big-brother-in-your-driver-seat/



__._,_.___





   
__,_._,___


--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Fwd: The (stupid) Left Vs. the Redskins




http://jewishworldreview.com/0813/prager081313.php3

 

August 13, 2013/ 7 Elul, 5773

The Left Vs. the Redskins

By Dennis Prager


The online magazine Slate announced last week that it will never again refer to the Washington's National Football League team, the Redskins, by its name.

The name, according to Slate, offends American Indians, and therefore should be dropped. And until such time, Slate will never mention it. It will become, in effect, the R-word.

The article, to its credit, acknowledged that the term "redskins" was not coined as a racist epithet:

"The word redskin has a relatively innocent history. As Smithsonian linguist Ives Goddard has shown, European settlers in the 18th century seem to have adopted the term from Native Americans, who used 'red skin' to describe themselves, and it was generally a descriptor, not an insult."

So, then, what's so bad about the name Redskins?

Slate Argument One: "Here's a quick thought experiment: Would any team, naming itself today, choose "Redskins" or adopt the team's Indian-head logo? Of course it wouldn't."

Response: There are many teams with names that wouldn't be adopted today. Who would name a team the "Red Sox," "White Sox," "Packers," "Dodgers," "Forty-Niners," "Steelers," or, for that matter, "Yankees?"

Slate Argument Two: "While the name Redskins is only a bit offensive, it's extremely tacky and dated -- like an old aunt who still talks about 'colored people.' ... "

Response: Since Slate dismisses the term "colored people" as "tacky and dated," why doesn't it call on the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (the NAACP), to change its name?

Slate Argument Three: "Changing how you talk changes how you think. ... Replacing 'same-sex marriage' with 'marriage equality' helped make gay marriage a universal cause rather than a special pleading."

 

Response: It's nice to have at least one left-wing source acknowledge how the left changes language to promote its causes. When more and more people began to suspect that global warming was not about to bring an apocalypse, and that, at the very least, it is in a pause mode, the left changed the term to "climate change."

The "marriage equality" substitution for "same-sex marriage" is just one more example of dishonest manipulation of English.

Orwellian manipulation of language by the left would be reason enough to oppose dropping "Redskins," a nearly 80-year-old tradition venerated by millions.

Argument Four is the key argument, offered by the Atlantic, in its support of Slate:

Response: "Whether people 'should' be offended by it or not doesn't matter; the fact that some people are offended by it does."

This is classic modern liberalism. It is why I have dubbed our age "The Age of Feelings."

In classic progressive fashion, the Atlantic writer commits two important errors.

First, it does matter "whether people 'should' feel offended." If we ceased using all arguments or descriptions because some people feel offended, we would cease using any arguments or descriptions. We should use the "reasonable person" test to determine what is offensive, not the "some people are offended" criterion.

On a recent broadcast of my radio show, I played excerpts of winning songs from the recent Eurovision Contest. One of them was from Hungary, and after I announced the Hungarian title, I jokingly translated it as "Let's invade Romania."

A man called up, and in unaccented English said he was of Hungarian stock and that I should apologize for offending him and Hungarians generally. I told him that his taking offense at a harmless joke was his problem, not what I said.

Teaching people to take offense is one of the left's black arts. Outside of sex and drugs, the left is pretty much joyless and it kills joy constantly. The war on the "Redskins" name is just the latest example.

Second, it is the left that specializes in offending: labeling the Tea Party racist, public cursing, displaying crucifixes in urine, and regularly calling Republicans evil (Paul Krugman, in his New York Times column last month, wrote that the Republican mindset "takes positive glee in inflicting further suffering on the already miserable." For such people to find the name "Redskins" offensive is a hoot.

The New Republic announced on Thursday that it would follow Slate's lead. And Mother Jones said on Friday it, too, will avoid using this R-word. They join The Washington City Paper, Washington online site DCist.com, the Kansas City Star and football writers at the Buffalo News and the Philadelphia Daily News. If the Redskins have any pride, they should not allow reporters from any of these publications into the Redskins locker room or give them free seats to any Redskins games.

The logo of the National Hockey League team, the Ottawa Senators, features a helmeted male senator of the Roman Empire. In the name of not offending the transgendered and of gender equality, the left will one day find that offensive, too; and demand that the logo feature a helmeted female as well.

That is one of many reasons to fight the left on changing Redskins name. The left never stops.

 



__._,_.___





   
__,_._,___


--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Re: Florida Capitol Building Unveils Mural Of George Zimmerman Shooting Trayvon Martin In The Back Of The Head

I can't believe that my State government would allow for such a controversial racist painting such as this to be displayed on public grounds.
---
what's not to believe?

Florida CRIME CLOCK
2012
Annual
one
VIOLENT CRIME
every 6 minutes
one
INDEX CRIME
every 44 seconds
one
MURDER
every 8 hours & 42 minutes
one
FORCIBLE RAPE
every 1 hour & 40 minutes
one
FORCIBLE SEX OFFENSE
every 52 minutes
one
ROBBERY
every 22 minutes
one
AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
every 9 minutes
one
LARCENY
every 1 minute
one
BURGLARY
every 3 minutes
one
PROPERTY CRIME
every 50 seconds
one
MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT
every 14 minutes

fwiw - Tennessee is the second-least peaceful state in the country, and has in fact gotten worse since 1991. Additionally, the Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin metropolitan area is among the worst metro areas for peace. The state is one of the most violent, with nearly 608 violent crimes committed per 100,000 residents in 2010. The state also has among the largest relative number of police employees — nearly 405 per 100,000 people. Tennessee also has one of the largest rates of children living in single parent households, one of the highest poverty rates, one of the lowest rates of income inequality and one of the highest rates of births among teenagers.

Read more: America's Most (and Least) Peaceful States - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2012/04/26/americas-most-and-least-peaceful-states/#ixzz2bslEMJqq

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:05:44 AM UTC-5, KeithInTampa wrote:
I can't believe that my State government would allow for such a controversial racist painting such as this to be displayed on public grounds.  Rest assured that I will be writing a formal complaint today.

 

 


On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Brian Bednarek <bri...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's not even a very good painting, you want murals go look up Diego Rivera

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Travis <baco...@gmail.com> wrote:




http://patdollard.com/2013/08/florida-capitol-building-unveils-mural-of-george-zimmerman-shooting-trayvon-martin-in-the-back-of-the-head/

FLORIDA CAPITOL BUILDING UNVEILS MURAL OF GEORGE ZIMMERMAN SHOOTING TRAYVON MARTIN IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD

Dream-Defenders-Trayvon-mural



Aug 10, 2013 No Comments ›› Chuck Biscuits

ORLANDO, Fla.An eye-grabbing mural showing a picture of a man shooting a likeness of Trayvon Martin was unveiled Friday at the state Capitol.

The message of the 100-foot mural, created by Miami artist Huong, is "We are all Trayvon Martin."

The mural shows a man who looks similar to George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch leader who shot and killed Martin in February 2012 and was later acquitted in the teen's death, shooting a person wearing a hoodie. There's a mirror in the mural where Martin's face would be so visitors can see themselves as the teen.

The mural also contains blank spaces where the public can share their thoughts, and it also shows a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. with blood flowing down his head.

 

 



__._,_.___
 




   
__,_._,___


--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforu...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



--
brine
http://brineb.blogspot.com/

--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforu...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Fwd: 10 More appropriate and less offensive (in my opinion) depictions of Obama as a clown

--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Fwd: [New post] But it’s only considered a ‘hate’ crime if a mosque or Muslim house is defaced with graffiti





BareNakedIslam posted: "EGYPT'S WALLS OF HATE: Anti-Christian Graffiti  Raymond Ibrahim  With the ousting of Muhammad Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood, the homes and churches of Egypt's Christians are seeing an unprecedented rise in anti-Christian graffiti.  The following are so"

New post on BARE NAKED ISLAM

But it's only considered a 'hate' crime if a mosque or Muslim house is defaced with graffiti

by BareNakedIslam

EGYPT'S WALLS OF HATE: Anti-Christian Graffiti  Raymond Ibrahim  With the ousting of Muhammad Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood, the homes and churches of Egypt's Christians are seeing an unprecedented rise in anti-Christian graffiti.  The following are some of the pictures that were recently disseminated, captioned with translation of graffiti and location information.  The name of Coptic […]

Read more of this post

BareNakedIslam | August 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Categories: Uncategorized | URL: http://wp.me/p276zM-WWH

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe or change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://www.barenakedislam.com/2013/08/13/but-its-only-considered-a-hate-crime-if-a-mosque-or-muslim-house-is-defaced-with-graffiti/




--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

For all you Juan Cole fans

For Juan Cole fans, click and see

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Atul Singh <atulabhas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Subject: The Voyage Continues...
To: Bruce <majors.bruce@gmail.com>


The Voyage Continues...

 


Dear Bruce,

I hope you are doing well. Fair Observer is proving one hell of a ride. I have run out of cash and am living with my car mechanic. It is making me more grounded, rooting me in gritty realities and making me more optimistic than ever. On 15 August, on the 66th anniversary of India's independence, we will launch our Kickstarter campaign and I would love to have your feedback on our page.


I also ask you to be our champion and to offer your pledge. Please let me know what amount you would like to pledge. The idea is to raise money from a large pool of people so that we do not rely on a few folks with a ton of money. We want to remain independent and every contribution even if it is $1 matters. So rest assured that your contribution now will prove critical for our success. We are becoming a non-profit, starting a bold movement and I invite you to be a part of it.

In the days to come, I will be sending you emails to share stories about our voyage to the promised land where the media informs, educates and holds the powerful to account. As the old bard from Stratford-upon-Avon put it, your breath has to fill our sails. Please go forth and spread the word - it is only through your support that little David can challenge mighty Goliaths.

My best wishes and warmest regards,

Atul
                              
                                                         Atul Singh
                                           Founder and Editor-in-Chief



For more information visit:
http://www.fairobserver.com/content/about-us-0

Follow on Twitter    Friend on Facebook    Forward to Friend 
Copyright © 2013 Fair Observer, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you have shown support for Fair Observer through the years. The time has now come to take Fair Observer to the next level and we invite you to partake in this journey with us.

Our mailing address is:
Fair Observer
2300 M Street Northwest, Washington, DC
Washington, DC 20037

Add us to your address book
unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Re: Anthony Weiner: Huma Will Play Role In Hillary Clinton's 2016 Campaign

Really ... Hilary in 2016?
I think it's time we start hiring a president ... one that we can fire and replace based on results.

Hilary is not even close to the quality we need in a president. Neither was Bill, George or O.

Vote 3rd Party!!!


On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:31:27 AM UTC-5, Travis wrote:







--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Re: Respecting All Cultures

Fred Reed currently lives in Mexico as an American expatriate.

Reed notes that his columns are often provocative and calls himself "an equal-opportunity irritant". His output does not fit into conventional political classification; it includes attacks on feminism[4] (generally the province of the right), George W. Bush[5] (generally the province of the left), Israel (though not of Jews in general), and evolution[6] (generally the province of religious fundamentalists).

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:35:20 AM UTC-5, MJ wrote:

August 12, 2013
Respecting All Cultures
By Allowing Them to Remain Separate
Fred Reed

Note: WHile I try to read all email and answer what I can, and find almost all of it interesting and thoughtful, I get swamped. Nobody likes being ignored, and I don't like doing it, but sometimes it isn't avoidable. Apologies.

Americans have prided themselves on America´s being a melting for so long that few notice that it isn´t. Cultures that could melt did, and those that couldn´t haven´t.

We tend to regard categories such as African-American, European-American, and Mexican-American as political, when in fact they designate unassimilated and perhaps unassimilable cultural entities. The differences are stark. The United States indeed is multicultural.

Go to a purely European-American community in, say, Idaho or Iowa. You will find clearly defined attitudes toward obedience to the law, the raising of children, toward schooling and acceptable behavior in school, toward democracy, self-reliance, constitutionality, civility, toward law and its enforcement. These qualities are not associated by accident. They closely resemble those found in Denmark and Finland. This is hardly surprising, since European-Americans came from Europe.

Now go to a purely African-American cultural enclave -- say, Detroit. Here you will find very different attitudes toward study, behavior in schools, law enforcement, and reliance on governmental charity. Again unsurprisingly, society in Detroit resembles more closely that of Nigeria than of Holland since its people came from Africa and have had no contact with Europe or its values.

 Now go to a Latino-American enclave, maybe El Paso, or Berwyn in Chicago. While Latino-American culture has much more in common with European-American than does African-American culture, because of heavy European influence during colonial times, attitudes toward schooling, government, marriage, and so on are distinctly not European-American.

Now, it is natural for cultures to be proud of their achievements and fond of their customs. As a European-American, I note that we have a continuous history from Agamemnon through Pericles, Archimedes, Xenophon through the magnificent achievements of Rome in government, architecture, and law -- Ulpian, Papinian -- through the Renaissance and its intellectual and artistic preeminence, through the invention of mathematics, chemistry, physics, electronics and so on. I grant that I am prejudiced­one always is regarding one´s own cultural home -- but I think ours is a pretty fair record.

The successes of my people have sprung from studiousness, a talent for organization, obedience to law, and a certain adventurousness, both economic and otherwise. ("Hell, let´s drop out of Harvard and start Microsoft.")

These qualities I think are the core of European-American identity, but they are not remotely unique to it. The Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, and Jews for example share these values, with which account for their obvious successes. This underlying similarity of the deeper values explains why there is comparatively little friction among these groups.

Now, while I feel proud, justly so I believe, of the nature and accomplishments of my own people, I do not believe I have a right to instruct other cultures as to how they should live and behave -- provided that their manner of living and behaving does not affect me. If a Mexican-American community chooses to play loud ranchera late at night, and put chili in milkshakes, I have neither the right nor a desire to complain. Different cultures have differing tolerances for noise and eat different things. So what? It is their business.

Similarly, I do not believe that I have a right to tell African-Americans how to live -- provided that their culture does not affect me. Being a European-American, my suspicion is that people in Detroit would prosper by studying more and shooting each other less, but this is a cultural prejudice on my part. They can do as seems best to them. Nor do I pretend to impose my European-American notions of proper schooling on Detroit. The African-American community can teach its children anything it wants, or nothing at all. I don´t care. It isn´t my business -- provided that it doesn´t affect me.

I don´t say this from hard-heartedness. If the schools of Detroit said, "Fred, we got these lousy, worn-out stupid textbooks and not enough of them. We need books with bigger words and smaller pictures.  Can you help us?" I would respond, "Sure, which books you want? They will be on a truck by noon tomorrow. No charge."

But multiculturalism is, or should be, a street of two directions. If I don´t want to impose my values on other cultures, neither do I want them to impose their values on me and mine. And that is exactly what the federal government is trying to do. It is trying to destroy my culture by melding it with others. This Is not multiculturalism.

For example, I believe in the correct use of language. My culture after all produced Milton, Shakespeare, Dodgson, Galsworthy, and Tolkien. But when African-Americans are put into a European-American school, they do not learn English, but rather impose Ebonics, and every third word is "Fuck." This latter is said to be acceptable because it is part of their culture, as it certainly is. It is not part of mine.

As a European-American, I believe in advanced courses and strict grading. African-Americans do not, and so standards have to be lowered for my children. As a European-American, I believe that boys should wear their pants somewhat higher than the level of their ankles, and that any student who curses or pushes a teacher should be permanently expelled. African-Americans do not share my European-American views.

How other cultures view these matters is not my concern. Provided that they do it in their own schools.

Having said these things, I will of course be said to be a white supremacist and a racist and all the other markers of very dim minds. Hardly. For one thing, culture is not synonymous with race. I am perfectly content to have people of other cultures and races in the schools of my children, provided that they accept my European-American core values. For another, I am not aware that Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese, whom I very much admire, are white, though perhaps with global warming a hotter sun has bleached them. I know many Mexicans who share the core values of European-American culture, and do not regard myself as supreme over them.

Further, like almost all who are called white supremacists, I am in fact a cultural left-aloneist. I do not want supremacy over any group, as that would mean having them in custody, a responsibility of which I weary.

 At the end of the day, I have to wonder what purpose is served by forcing cultures to mix. Nobody seems to want it. In Washington, DC, a city I know well, neither cultures nor races mix. When blacks move into a neighborhood, whites move out, and when whites move into DC, threatening to become a voting majority, blacks become unhappy. When whites leave the city, they go to white enclaves, notably Arlington, Fairfax, and Bethesda. Blacks go to Prince George´s County, mostly black.

Why not let them? Why not let people live with whom they choose, as they choose, and raise their children as they choose?

Nah.


http://www.fredoneverything.net/Multi.shtml

--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
 
* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Re: Respecting All Cultures

Look up the Sufi variation of Islam ... not like Sunni and Shia, who
are killing each other and anybody else!!!

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM, <Hot4azintop@aol.com> wrote:
> Does Islam respect any of the cultures referenced by the author? I don't
> think so as they have declared Jihad on our way of life and want to impose
> their culture on me.
>
> The author makes some very good points in his article but let me point out
> that I do want to pay as in taxes, for the Latino's to have their "culture"
> and the black's to have their "culture" .....let them fund or not fund their
> own cultures and live with those results and leave us alone instead of
> calling us all white racists and demanding more from our pcokets to pay for
> their "culture."
>
> In a message dated 8/13/2013 5:48:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> michaelj@america.net writes:
>
>
> August 12, 2013
> Respecting All Cultures
> By Allowing Them to Remain Separate
> Fred Reed
>
> Note: WHile I try to read all email and answer what I can, and find almost
> all of it interesting and thoughtful, I get swamped. Nobody likes being
> ignored, and I don't like doing it, but sometimes it isn't avoidable.
> Apologies.
>
> Americans have prided themselves on America´s being a melting for so long
> that few notice that it isn´t. Cultures that could melt did, and those that
> couldn´t haven´t.
>
> We tend to regard categories such as African-American, European-American,
> and Mexican-American as political, when in fact they designate unassimilated
> and perhaps unassimilable cultural entities. The differences are stark. The
> United States indeed is multicultural.
>
> Go to a purely European-American community in, say, Idaho or Iowa. You will
> find clearly defined attitudes toward obedience to the law, the raising of
> children, toward schooling and acceptable behavior in school, toward
> democracy, self-reliance, constitutionality, civility, toward law and its
> enforcement. These qualities are not associated by accident. They closely
> resemble those found in Denmark and Finland. This is hardly surprising,
> since European-Americans came from Europe.
>
> Now go to a purely African-American cultural enclave -- say, Detroit. Here
> you will find very different attitudes toward study, behavior in schools,
> law enforcement, and reliance on governmental charity. Again unsurprisingly,
> society in Detroit resembles more closely that of Nigeria than of Holland
> since its people came from Africa and have had no contact with Europe or its
> values.
>
> Now go to a Latino-American enclave, maybe El Paso, or Berwyn in Chicago.
> While Latino-American culture has much more in common with European-American
> than does African-American culture, because of heavy European influence
> during colonial times, attitudes toward schooling, government, marriage, and
> so on are distinctly not European-American.
>
> Now, it is natural for cultures to be proud of their achievements and fond
> of their customs. As a European-American, I note that we have a continuous
> history from Agamemnon through Pericles, Archimedes, Xenophon through the
> magnificent achievements of Rome in government, architecture, and law --
> Ulpian, Papinian -- through the Renaissance and its intellectual and
> artistic preeminence, through the invention of mathematics, chemistry,
> physics, electronics and so on. I grant that I am prejudiced­one always is
> regarding one´s own cultural home -- but I think ours is a pretty fair
> record.
>
> The successes of my people have sprung from studiousness, a talent for
> organization, obedience to law, and a certain adventurousness, both economic
> and otherwise. ("Hell, let´s drop out of Harvard and start Microsoft.")
>
> These qualities I think are the core of European-American identity, but they
> are not remotely unique to it. The Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, and Jews for
> example share these values, with which account for their obvious successes.
> This underlying similarity of the deeper values explains why there is
> comparatively little friction among these groups.
>
> Now, while I feel proud, justly so I believe, of the nature and
> accomplishments of my own people, I do not believe I have a right to
> instruct other cultures as to how they should live and behave -- provided
> that their manner of living and behaving does not affect me. If a
> Mexican-American community chooses to play loud ranchera late at night, and
> put chili in milkshakes, I have neither the right nor a desire to complain.
> Different cultures have differing tolerances for noise and eat different
> things. So what? It is their business.
>
> Similarly, I do not believe that I have a right to tell African-Americans
> how to live -- provided that their culture does not affect me. Being a
> European-American, my suspicion is that people in Detroit would prosper by
> studying more and shooting each other less, but this is a cultural prejudice
> on my part. They can do as seems best to them. Nor do I pretend to impose my
> European-American notions of proper schooling on Detroit. The
> African-American community can teach its children anything it wants, or
> nothing at all. I don´t care. It isn´t my business -- provided that it
> doesn´t affect me.
>
> I don´t say this from hard-heartedness. If the schools of Detroit said,
> "Fred, we got these lousy, worn-out stupid textbooks and not enough of them.
> We need books with bigger words and smaller pictures. Can you help us?" I
> would respond, "Sure, which books you want? They will be on a truck by noon
> tomorrow. No charge."
>
> But multiculturalism is, or should be, a street of two directions. If I
> don´t want to impose my values on other cultures, neither do I want them to
> impose their values on me and mine. And that is exactly what the federal
> government is trying to do. It is trying to destroy my culture by melding it
> with others. This Is not multiculturalism.
>
> For example, I believe in the correct use of language. My culture after all
> produced Milton, Shakespeare, Dodgson, Galsworthy, and Tolkien. But when
> African-Americans are put into a European-American school, they do not learn
> English, but rather impose Ebonics, and every third word is "Fuck." This
> latter is said to be acceptable because it is part of their culture, as it
> certainly is. It is not part of mine.
>
> As a European-American, I believe in advanced courses and strict grading.
> African-Americans do not, and so standards have to be lowered for my
> children. As a European-American, I believe that boys should wear their
> pants somewhat higher than the level of their ankles, and that any student
> who curses or pushes a teacher should be permanently expelled.
> African-Americans do not share my European-American views.
>
> How other cultures view these matters is not my concern. Provided that they
> do it in their own schools.
>
> Having said these things, I will of course be said to be a white supremacist
> and a racist and all the other markers of very dim minds. Hardly. For one
> thing, culture is not synonymous with race. I am perfectly content to have
> people of other cultures and races in the schools of my children, provided
> that they accept my European-American core values. For another, I am not
> aware that Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, and Vietnamese, whom I very much
> admire, are white, though perhaps with global warming a hotter sun has
> bleached them. I know many Mexicans who share the core values of
> European-American culture, and do not regard myself as supreme over them.
>
> Further, like almost all who are called white supremacists, I am in fact a
> cultural left-aloneist. I do not want supremacy over any group, as that
> would mean having them in custody, a responsibility of which I weary.
>
> At the end of the day, I have to wonder what purpose is served by forcing
> cultures to mix. Nobody seems to want it. In Washington, DC, a city I know
> well, neither cultures nor races mix. When blacks move into a neighborhood,
> whites move out, and when whites move into DC, threatening to become a
> voting majority, blacks become unhappy. When whites leave the city, they go
> to white enclaves, notably Arlington, Fairfax, and Bethesda. Blacks go to
> Prince George´s County, mostly black.
>
> Why not let them? Why not let people live with whom they choose, as they
> choose, and raise their children as they choose?
>
> Nah.
>
>
> http://www.fredoneverything.net/Multi.shtml
>
> --
> --
> Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
> For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
>
> * Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
> * It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
> * Read the latest breaking news, and more.
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "PoliticalForum" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>
>
> --
> --
> Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
> For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum
>
> * Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
> * It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
> * Read the latest breaking news, and more.
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "PoliticalForum" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>



--
brine
http://brineb.blogspot.com/

--
--
Thanks for being part of "PoliticalForum" at Google Groups.
For options & help see http://groups.google.com/group/PoliticalForum

* Visit our other community at http://www.PoliticalForum.com/
* It's active and moderated. Register and vote in our polls.
* Read the latest breaking news, and more.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PoliticalForum" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to politicalforum+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.